What to Do When Your Teen Decides Not to Go to College 5 Days Before Move-In
It was 7:12 pm, per the clock above our stove, and I was folding the extra-long twin cotton sheets I’d ordered back in June when Eli leaned against the fridge, picked a slice of leftover pepperoni pizza off the counter, and said it. “I don’t think I’m going. Move-in is next week, right? I’m not going.”
The pizza grease left a faint gray ring on the white fridge door I’d wiped that morning. The sheet I was holding slipped out of my hands and landed on the sticky kitchen floor. The housing office’s final move-in reminder glowed on my open laptop, the one that reminded me to order a parking pass and pack a doorstop. I’d spent the last three months checking every box: paid the deposit, registered him for intro business classes, bought a mini fridge and a shower caddy and a set of plastic dorm drawers. We’d taken the orientation tour in May, he’d posed for a photo by the campus fountain with his grandpa, everyone had posted it to Facebook with “so proud!” comments.
I didn’t yell. I just asked him what changed. He’d known his acceptance since last December. He said nothing changed, actually—everything clicked this summer. He’d gotten a part-time job at the local carpentry shop downtown to save spending money for college, and last week the owner offered him a full-time apprenticeship. “I’ve been faking being into business this whole time because you guys thought it was a good major,” he said, wiping crumbs off his t-shirt. “I like building things. I don’t want to spend four years and tens of thousands of dollars taking classes I don’t care about just to check a box.”
I went to bed that night with a knot in my stomach. I called my sister, who’s a guidance counselor at the local high school, and she told me to come over the next morning, no panic. We drank bad coffee at her kitchen table, and she didn’t give me that vague “just be supportive” talk everyone seems to default to. She gave me three specific questions to ask Eli, no anger, no disappointment, just to see how much he’d actually thought this through: What do you plan to do this month? What’s your backup if this doesn’t work out in a year? How will you cover your basic expenses right now? She also told me to wait 24 hours before making any calls to the college, because panicking leads to decisions you regret.
I went home and sat down with Eli at the kitchen table after work that day. He pulled out a beat-up spiral notebook from his backpack, the same one he used for high school math, and answered every question. He starts the apprenticeship on Monday, $15 an hour, health insurance after 90 days, and the boss will cover his trade school tuition for his carpentry license once he’s been there a year. If he hates it in 12 months, he already checked that the college will let him defer his enrollment for up to three years, so he can just start then. He has $3,200 saved from his summer work, and he’s going to pay me $300 a month for rent while he lives at home to save for tools and a used truck.
I didn’t expect that. I thought it was a last-minute panic about leaving home, the kind I’d heard about from other parents. But he’d been writing notes in that notebook for two months, he just didn’t tell us because he knew we’d be upset.
That’s the thing I’ve been thinking about this week. Most of us, we plan this whole college path before our kid even graduates high school, and we don’t stop to ask if it’s actually what they want. I know I did. I went to college, my husband went to college, all of our friends’ kids went to college, so that’s just what you did. But when it comes down to it, forcing a kid to go when they’re 18 and already sure they don’t want to be there just means you’re out all that money, and they’re a semester in when they drop out anyway. I have a neighbor whose son did that two years ago—he went because his parents made him, dropped out after Christmas, and they lost $12,000 in tuition that semester.
The practical stuff that helped us, that I wish someone had told me before this week: First, that 24-hour cool down rule. Don’t cancel anything, don’t yell, don’t text all your friends panicking. Just let the news sit. Second, those three questions I mentioned earlier. They don’t put your kid on the defensive, and they sort out who’s thought it through versus who’s just having a panic attack. If they can’t answer those questions, you can negotiate a deferral instead of making them go or letting them drop everything entirely. Third, almost every public college will let you defer enrollment for a year for a tiny fee, if any. We didn’t lose our deposit, it just rolls over to any term he picks in the next three years. Fourth, you don’t owe anyone an explanation. I told my mom when she called to ask what we’d done wrong that it’s Eli’s choice, and if she can’t handle that, she can wait to talk about it when she’s calm. No need to defend your kid’s choice to every aunt and book club friend.
Today is supposed to be Eli’s move-in day. He left for work at 7 am this morning, and came home for lunch an hour ago covered in sawdust. He’s helping frame a new small development out on the west side of town, and he couldn’t stop talking about how the foundation came out perfectly this week. We returned the mini fridge to Target last week, got a full refund, donated the shower caddy and dorm organizers to the local youth shelter that helps low-income kids go to college. I still have the extra-long twin sheets folded in the hall closet, just in case.
I still worry some nights. I wonder what will happen if the construction market slows down, if he’ll regret not going when he’s 30, if I messed up by letting him do this. But I also know that plenty of kids graduate from four-year colleges and can’t find jobs in their field, and wonder the same thing. There’s no guaranteed perfect path anymore, if there ever was. Tonight we’re ordering pizza, same as the night he told me. I still have the housing office email pinned in my inbox, just in case he changes his mind down the line. For right now, though, this is where we are.
Please indicate: Thinking In Educating » What to Do When Your Teen Decides Not to Go to College 5 Days Before Move-In